Friday, May 14, 2010

Resizing Ubuntu (wubi)

Okie, I installed Wubi and surprise, surprise, I chose the default option which only gave me 5 GB of space, which meant that I only had 1 GB left after installing some stuff. Err.. Miscalculation.

Luckily, for newbies like me, there's an easy option to resize your Wubi installation. Use LVPM. Go to http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html and install LVPM.

You can resize your Wubi installation in a few ways. I chose not to install another partition but just to increase the virtual disk allocated to Wubi. [Wubi installs itself as a virtual disk in your hard drive (I am noob, give me a break =) ). ]
(Keep an external hard drive handy.. )

So before everything, make sure you have enough disk space on your hard drive as LVPM copies the whole disk over. E.g. If you want to increase it to 10 GB, make sure you have 10 GB free.

Now,
Start LVPM (Applications -> System Tools -> )
Choose the "Resize" option.
Wait for the new file to be created and a dialog box will pop telling you to boot back to Windows.
After it's done, restart Windows.
Find your ubuntu installation folder. There are 2 files you need to look out for, "new.disk" and "root.disk".
Backup "root.disk", that's your current disk and remove it from the folder.
Rename "new.disk" to "root.disk".
Go back to Ubuntu and check that everything should be working fine.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know what version of Ubuntu you are on, but on the LVPM website as at Aig 2nd 2010, it says "LVPM currently does not work with installs generated by Wubi 10.04". Also doesn't sound like there is an update in the offing any time soon. Sadly I just upgraded my install to 10.04 :(

    ReplyDelete