Monday, July 29, 2013

Hardware Product Design - FreeCAD

I used SolidWorks during my engineering days, but now that I no longer have access to SolidWorks, I had to find an alternative CAD software. Hopefully, something that runs on Windows and Ubuntu.

Just started using FreeCAD, which is not as user-friendly as SolidWorks, but I'm not complaining.

Coming from someone who has used SolidWorks before, I think the easiest method to get started was to watch the video tutorials on FreeCAD.

I started with a new document, under the "Part" mode (not "Part Design").

I found the menu a bit confusing. You have to choose the mode that you are in to access the tools.

For navigation, I selected the "Blender" navigation mode.

For rotation of objects and parts, I used "Edit -> Placement" and selected either Yaw, Pitch and Roll (google for the relevant axis of rotation).

I haven't tried "Assembly", which is similar to "Mate" in Solidworks, where you can align 2 parts to each other using either faces, edges or points.

No comments:

Post a Comment