Thursday, February 4, 2010

Meeting w Dr Ng Kah Loon: Experiences from research, teaching and life

I met Dr Ng Kah Loon today. Now I understand why he's such a good teacher. It's simply because he likes to teach.

I can't believe the intellectual loneliness of being the only one doing network theory focused on epidemiology in Singapore. I would hate being in that situation.

Another takeaway I got was being 知足, unfortunately, I'm still too young or too changed to be satisfied with that state of mind.

It's interesting that he shared his experience working with people from other academic disciplines. It took 1 person to play the important role of an interface (some hybrid of mathematician/computing/physician/medically trained) before the whole team could gel. He also shared the importance of being an independent researcher who is able to identify potential research areas that they can work on. It just sounds so much like entrepreneurship that I was a little taken aback. It was also crucial for him to have did research overseas before coming back to NUS as NUS is too sheltered an environment.

Still looking for someone in NUS who has did work on Ant Colony Optimisation.. hmm..

5 comments:

  1. I Like Dr.Ng,too...He is really really a great lecturer nd we all enjoy his modules very much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! Dr Ng is really nice and he's really passionate about mathematics and teaching. If we had more professors like him, NUS would produce better students. He can easily excite our interest in what is being taught.

    Btw, if you like, please drop me an email so that I can know who you are.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops,cannot find ur email address here...mine is dreamsnowing0@gmail.com~
    aha, I just googled"Dr. Ng Kah Loon "nd find here lah~
    really really like him:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I also agree :)
    He is a good lecturer n soo~ nice..
    hohoho~
    I was taught by him for MA1101R (both lecture n tutor)..^^

    ReplyDelete