Monday, January 25, 2010

NUS Email thoughts

Okie, so I've just received an email from NUS saying that my mailbox is full. Thoughts to ponder..

I've enabled POP3 access to my gmail, so I get all my NUS emails nicely with the appropriate filters and labels. The search is faster and better. Essentially, since I have all my emails, I can ignore the email alert.

The storage limit is pitiful for almost anyone with a normal email usage. You almost have to check twice daily in order to clear the inbox.

There is a lot of mail that is not relevant, with people happily attaching 1MB files/posters to mass emails.

I guess cost is the issue, luckily gmail is a free and better alternative.

2 comments:

  1. using pop3/imap access from Gmail is slow. Set email forwarding from NUS exchange.

    After which, set your filters to tag mails from: nus.edu.sg with your "Nus Mail" label etc.

    This way your nus mail inbox is permanently empty.

    Thats how I'm handling it and has been for 3++ years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dy,
    Yeah, that works. I'm just thinking that it's weird cause in essence, we are using free service providers that are better than the school's email. I guess they have security reasons.

    I still think my method is less mafan than yours, cause I don't even need to set it that way and still get my emails from my NUS account.

    ReplyDelete